|Preparation Time: 22 mins approx
|Notes: The two purees can be prepared several days in advance.
Chettinad Prawns ( Pepper Prawns)
Prawns Peeled and veined ( 21- 25) 28
PiecesTurmeric 2 gms
Lemon Juice 5ml
Curry Paste A
Fresh grated Coconut 75 g
Cumin Seeds 2.5 gmsCoriander seeds 5 gms
Whole red chillies 2
Crushed Black pepper corns 1tspoon
Fennel Seeds 2.5ml
Cinnamon 1 stick
Curry leaves 5
.Onion paste B
Macadamia nut oil 100 ml
Chopped Onions 200 gms
Ginger paste 5 gms
Garlic paste 5 gms
Fresh tomatoes 100
Salt To Taste
Red Chilli Powder 2.5grms
Turmeric 2 gms
Tamarind extract 50ml
..Curry sauce C
Coconut Milk 100 ml
Fresh chopped coriander 1 Table spoon
- 1/Clean the prawns and sprinkle with the turmeric and lemon juice and rest for 30 minutes.
To make the curry paste..........A
- 1/ Dry roast the grated coconut till light and golden
- 2/ Add in all the whole spices and continue roasting till the spices turn golden and leave aromatic fragrance.
- 3/ Remove from the heat and cool down before grinding to a paste.
- 4/ make a smooth paste and reserve.
- Onion paste.................. B
- 1/ Heat the oil in a thick bottomed pan when hot add in whole red chilli and curry leaves.
- 2/ Add in the chopped Onions and fry till golden.
- 3/ Add in ginger garlic and fry for a minute
- 4/ add in the powdered spices and fresh chopped tomatoes
- 6/ cook till the curry mix is well fried and leaves oil.
To make the curry.......... C
- Heat the oil in a big thick bottom pan.
- Add in the prawns and stir fry till pink
- Add in the onion spice mixture , the paste and stir fry
- Add in the tamarind extract
- Finish by adding coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and season to taste.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot accompanied with steamed rice