|Hearty Moroccan Soup with chilli and coriander chutney
|Preparation Time: 20 mins approx
Hearty Moroccan Soup with chilli and coriander chutney
15ml olive oil
225g diced mutton
1 onion, cut into thin wedges
3 cloves garlic, sliced
450g green tomatoes
2 sticks celery chopped
2 tsp celery leaves, chopped
1 tsp coriander ∏ tsp ground ginger
∏ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cinnamon
sea-salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp Parsley, chopped
75g dried green lentils 75g canned Chickpeas
1.75 litres chicken stock
2 egg yolks
∏ Lemon, juice only
For the chutney
100g fresh coriander
1 red chillies, halved and seeds removed
4 garlic cloves, peeled
π tsp ground coriander
30ml lemon juice
50ml Olive oil
plain natural yogurt, to garnish
1. Heat the butter or oil in a large saucepan. Add the mutton and cook for 5-6 minutes, until browned on all sides.
2. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, until golden.
3. Add the garlic, tomatoes, celery leaves, spices and seasoning.
4. Stir in the parsley and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Stir in the lentils, chickpeas and stock.
6. Slowly bring to the boil and skim any foam away. Simmer rapidly for 10 minutes, and then reduce the heat to a slow and gentle simmer.
7. Cook slowly for about 2 hours, until both mutton and chickpeas are tender.
8. Add the vermicelli and cook for a further 5-6 minutes. If the soup is very thick at this stage add a little more stock.
9. Beat the egg yolks with the lemon juice and stir into the soup.
10. Remove the pan from the heat immediately and stir until the soup has thickened. It is vital not to let the soup overheat at this stage, or the egg will curdle.
11. To make the chutney, simply place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend. Spoon the mixture into an airtight sterilised jar and keep refrigerator until ready to use.
12. To serve, pour the soup into warmed bowls and garnish with a spoonful of chutney and a dollop of natural yoghurt.